Friday, October 16, 2009

Text Lingo

Recently I have been evaluating the language I use when I send text messages to my friends. Is it appropriate to use sayings such as "LOL", "G2G", "TTYL", etc.? Sometimes when I'm in a hurry and I do not want to write out the entire phrase, I slip in a quick abbreviation and I simply assume that I my friends know what I'm talking about. My personal favorite is "LOL", I would have to say that I use this one most frequently. I find myself using this term even when I'm not actually "laughing out loud", especially when I'm talking to a girl and don't really know what else to say. Speaking of texting girls, have any of you guys ever asked yourself how many "y's" you should use at the end of a "hey"? Usually I deem two to three to be appropriate, but when I haven't talked to them in a long time, I will only use one because I wouldn't want them to think that I'm being too friendly. Another thing that I have been thinking about lately is how much time I should wait before responding to a girl through text messages. If I respong too soon she might not think that I have a life, but if I wait too long she might think that I'm blowing her off, and I would not want that to happen, LOL! I think that these abbreviations goes to show how lazy our generation has become, text messaging services are already giving us the convenience of avoiding a phone conversation, but now we can't even bring ourselves to write out an entire phrase. It is also interesting how we read into these small aspects with so much detail, it is really effecting our lives this much? Well, that's all for now, G2G!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting post mike. I can honestly say that I did laugh out loud at points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew guys put so much thought into their text messages..

    ReplyDelete